World book day post - The Kite Runner



This world book day, I want to share my story of reading a book that had a great impact on me not just as a reader, but also as a human. A tale of innocence, crime, guilt, redemption and everything in between. I am talking about a book that I have read just once in my life some 10+ years ago, but I still remember the events like they happened just yesterday in my own life. A book that I am reminded of, every time I look up and see the blue sky and a colorful kite run by a young boy. A book that I am reminded of, every time I read about the cruelty met out to a young innocent kid. A book that I am reminded of, every time someone asks me “Is there one book that has affected you emotionally and changed you as a person?” Yes, I am talking about The Kite Runner’ by Khaled Hosseini.

My first memory of this book is my uncle laying on the bed, reading the book when he was visiting us for the holidays from the USA. I remember how the title caught my attention and I was curious to know what story the book held within its pages. But I was too small then, lost in a world of children’s books. I felt that a novel like this could probably be understood well only by an adult reader (and I wasn’t wrong!). So while I was really curious about the mystery hidden in the book, I put it away for later. But looking back I think that the curiosity housed itself in some small corner of my brain. So it was no surprise that years later when I decided to move on from childrens’ books to novels for adults, I inevitably picked up this book that had sparked my curiosity all those years ago with nothing more than just its title.

I remember how I started reading that book and found it hard to keep up with the characters, the setting, and the storyline initially - a tale of two boys growing up together, a tale of love and jealousy. It was a tale set in Afghanistan against the backdrop of multiple tumultuous events. The story talks about two boys who found an escape from the horrific reality they were living in by flying kites together. But alas! Who knew that this very kite flying that they once bonded over would lead to a pivotal act of sexual assault against a young boy that the other witnessed, but failed to do something about. Who knew that this would be the incident that changed not just the characters’ lives but also mine forever!

My heartbeat quickens as I am typing this piece out, as I remember the day I read about the injustice meted out to Hasan - a young, skinny kite runner who loved listening to stories. I feel my eyes welling up and tears streaming down my face, just like that day years ago. I remember how it broke my heart and pained me from within that somebody could commit such a horrific act towards a child… but more so as I read on to learn that Amir who witnessed the whole incident felt too scared to intervene and save a loyal friend whose story arc was to remain pure... the kind of person we just don't come across in our lives anymore. My heart cried out for Hassan, and I hated Amir from every fiber of my being. How could he let something so horrible happen to a friend who said to him, “For you a thousand times over”? Just how could he?

I couldn’t bring myself to carry on reading that book. I was scared, I couldn’t sleep peacefully at night for days. I hid the book in a shelf in the attic because I thought out of sight would probably mean out of my mind. But no, the book held me captive - I could listen to Hasan’s pleas and I somehow felt guilty for not being able to help him. And the only way out was to seek redemption by opening the book and finish reading his story. I continued from where I had left, to follow Amir’s story to his marriage and the couple’s struggle to have children. While I knew that it was wrong to wish bad for others, especially someone who had been living in the shadow of his past (one filled with cowardice and betrayal), I admit that a part of me felt content that he was suffering for the wrongs that he had done.

And just when I thought that I had seen enough, the story just got complicated as Amir learns that Hasan was his half-brother, that Hasan is dead, and that his son Sohrab really needs some help from being exploited by Taliban officials and face a fate similar to that of his father. I, just like Amir was shocked at the discovery but hoped to God that Amir would take this chance at redemption and stand by Sohrab - for Hasan if nothing else. I followed their story to the last page, and I finally found some peace and solace as the story ended with Amir adopting a young Sohrab and promising him, “For you a thousand times over!” ❤️



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

ENGINEERING : A lost treasure yet to be recovered

WOMAN

The man who has no inner life is a slave to his surroundings